View Single Post
Old November 25 2009, 01:28 PM   #337
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Re: CG ENT-D model

trevanian wrote: View Post
For me, some of the windows on that TATV -d have got that 'cg shitty window light' look, so it looks like they'd need to render those elements on another pass to get the dynamic range right to sell the ship as credibly as a good miniature.
I think the windows are an example of where both physical miniatures and CGI models failed to sell the reality of the Enterprise-D. "Frosted white rectangles" don't look like windows to me.

Prologic9 wrote: View Post
There have been a lot of great physical models built over the years, the Enterprise D was never one of them. The original model was little more than a hull with windows--very little detail. The 4ft model looks like lumpy paper mache. I know, they look great in fuzzy low resolution. Go figure.
The six-footer remains the best depiction of the 1701-D. I'm not sure what additional detail would have done except to cause the miniature to deviate from Andrew Probert's design. If the windows could have little environments placed behind them, then the model would be about as close to perfect as any could be.