Thread: Shatnerverse
View Single Post
Old November 24 2009, 06:30 AM   #30
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Re: Shatnerverse

As for the Shatnerverse, I love it. Obviously, as my nick is derived from one of the characters in that series (the MU trilogy, in fact). The first trilogy was obviously the best, with AVENGER having the best plotting, but with the serious error of downsizing Picard's involvement in the Sarek story. ASHES is the most balanced one, and second best, whereas THE RETURN is the most fun one, but loses a bit credibility when Kirk wins a Klingon - and Worf no less (Worf, damn it!). SPECTRE, I like it better than RETURN, for its returns to ASHES's pace and the writing was just great. DARK VICTORY I liked, even though a lot of people didn't, and PRESERVER, I feel, needed a rewrite, as the first half is excellent, but the second half is trash. Complete trash. CAPTAIN'S PERIL, I thought, was good - a detective story where Kirk tries to solve a mystery and avenge his friend, CAPTAIN'S BLOOD was a nice follow-up to NEM, but a tad ridiculous, and CAPTAIN'S GLORY a reall good one, with an awesome epilogue thats an awesome cap for the character of Jim Kirk.

So, overall, I found them to be rather entertaining, and not any better or worse than any other Trek books. So to lower them or dismiss them as May Sue fanfics is a silly thing for me to do, as there are plenty of Trek novels that actually qualify as such, and have worse writing than this series (after all, the Reeves-Stevens give a hand), and suffer from the smae probs this is accused of having (the small-universe thing).

If anything, I'm especially fond of them, as they exposed me to Trek literature, and were a fun alternative to Trek movies at the time - I was reading the MU trilogy during INS's time, and it was such a relief to do so because of that film's suckiness. Plus, the stories rectified one of GEN's most unforgiveable of decisions, as per Kirk's death, and for that alone I consider them valid, in my eyes.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote