Here is a smattering of my favourite freeware:
- Looks a bit rough around the edges but is pretty much the best CD ripper I've ever used.
- Spiffy system/registry cleanup program. Very useful.
DVD Slideshow GUI
- This is actually a collection of several programs, each of which plays a part in creating slideshow DVDs which will playback on pretty much any standalone DVD player, even older ones.
- VST plugin for DAW software. The name conveys some idea of the sorts of sounds which can be eked from it.
- Kickass uninstaller with full control throughout an uninstallation (down to the identification and removal of registry files).
- Kickass package extractor, compatible with just about any common compressed filetype. The best part is that it just creates a new folder with the same name and it's done - no fooling around with vague context menus and such.
- Virtualisation software. Since you're digging freeware, you might as well go the whole hog and try out some of the numerous free Linux distros. Also functions as a sandbox for testing suspicious websites and such.