Thread: V: the series
View Single Post
Old November 20 2009, 05:00 AM   #27
superstring01
Commander

Re: V: the series

Christopher wrote: View Post
I profoundly doubt that. If you're talking about posthumanism, everybody uploading their brains into computers, that's not very believable. Here's an excellent discussion of the subject:

http://hplusmagazine.com/articles/ai...er-live-matrix
A human is not born as a tabula rasa, but with a brain that’s already wired and functioning as a mind. Furthermore, the brain forms as the embryo develops. It cannot be inserted after the fact, like an engine in a car chassis or software programs in an empty computer box.
Large portions of the brain process and interpret signals from the body and the environment. Without a body, these functions will flail around and can result in the brain... well, losing its mind. Without corrective “pingbacks” from the environment that are filtered by the body, the brain can easily misjudge to the point of hallucination, as seen in phenomena like phantom limb pain or fibromyalgia. Additionally, processing at light speed will probably result in madness, as everything will appear to happen simultaneously or will change order arbitrarily.
Organic intelligences can't be anything other than organic. Our minds are inseparably intertwined with the meat of our brains and bodies. A mind capable of functioning entirely within a technological substrate would be something very alien. A race of "posthuman" AIs would not be us or our descendants, just our replacements.
I respect the information you provide (and am aware of it), but disagree on the point that we have no idea what abilities will be opened up by nano-technology. While I doubt that it wouldn't take effect the first generation. With each progressive generation, the inclusion of inorganic parts and significantly improved genetics could allow for such integration.

To wit, none of us knows for sure. But what we DO know is that any species that can transcend the stars would have to employ an energy source that is--in many orders of magnitude--greater than anything we can even imagine. Coupled with numerous other technologies, it's doubtful that there would ever be anything on this rock they'd be interested in, much less need.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Point of order: Since this thread is about the original series, not the remake, the nickname "Vs" doesn't apply. The aliens from the original miniseries/show are the Visitors or the Sirians, never "the Vs." In the original, the letter V symbolized the resistance -- it was the iconic "V for Victory" of the WWII era. Even the theme music of the original series had a portion whose rhythm was based on the Morse Code symbol for V, which is also a reference to WWII symbology. So the new series' use of the letter V to represent the aliens is a complete reversal of the original's intent.
You are correct. Going forward I will endeavor to separate the "Sirians" from the "V's".

Though, the point I made stands: In the case of either alien species, the need would not exist.

~String