Thread: The Simpsons
View Single Post
Old November 15 2009, 03:02 AM   #29
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Re: The Simpsons

I think season 1 is a little too crude to embrace entirely (due to the primitive animation and less developed writing), but it's not terrible, and definitely better than about the last 12 seasons. Season 2 and 3 are better, but still a little clunky in pace and lack the sophistication of some later season writing/humour, although it has its share of bonafide classics (i.e. "Lisa's Pony").

I consider seasons 4 to 7 "The Golden Era", when just about every episode was great, and the episodes that weren't great were at least very good. They started experimenting a little in season 8, resulting in a few episodes that were a little disappointing, but I don't think the show got consistently bad until season 9.

I bought seasons 4 to 8 on DVD. I was hesitant about 9, so I rented it, and it didn't take long for me to realize that I made the right choice not buying it and it is definitely when the show started running out of ideas.

It's the first season (after about 5 in a row) that I thought had consistently bad episodes and did some absolutely atrocious character assassination. What they did to Skinner in "The Principal and the Pauper" was shameful and after 7 seasons of loving him dearly, I think "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson" was the first (and unfortunately not the last) episode that made Homer annoying and painfully grating to me.

I like to pretend everything after season 8 never happened. I wish it hadn't, even though there have been a handful of really good episodes since then (i.e. "Girly Edition" and "Trilogy of Error").
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote