Thread: The Simpsons
View Single Post
Old November 14 2009, 10:45 PM   #23
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Re: The Simpsons

I'm not sure when The Simpsons lost it for me. At some stage, though, it just stopped keeping my attention. I'd watch it out of habit rather than interest, and eventually I didn't bother with it at all. The handful of new eps I've stumbled on in the past five or so years didn't do anything for me.

When it was good, it was fantastic. I agree that Phil Hartman's death was a turning point, but the family themselves aren't the same people any more and that's probably my biggest problem with it now. As Homer became more stupid, Marge became more shrewish, Bart became more prat than brat, Lisa became more insufferably preachy and Maggie just kept being Maggie, it became harder to give a damn about them. They're just not interesting "people" to me any more.

J. Allen wrote: View Post
TGTheodore wrote: View Post
When a show lasts as long as The Simpsons, it's quite possible that a viewer's tastes change and they no longer relate to it as much anymore. It doesn't mean the show itself has "lost its way" or gotten significantly worse, but just that the viewer has moved on and just isn't interested anymore.

What's funny and hip to a viewer at 13, isn't always the same at 34.

Or else the show actually could just become stale.

--Ted
Well, the reason I think the show has become stale (at least for me) is because I can go back to Seasons 1 through 11 and enjoy them, particularly my favorite seasons 2 to 7. They never get tired or dull. The more recent Simpsons episodes just don't hold my attention, have no "soul" or "spark", they have no "heart" to me.
Yep. Quite obviously I'm older now than I was when I started watching the show and yes, people's tastes (sometimes / often) change over time. But I can watch those early episodes now and laugh as much as I did back in the day. The newer ones generally don't keep my attention much past the couch gag. So while I certainly don't enjoy some things as much - or at all - now as I did back in the day, and therefore my tastes have changed, the fact I still enjoy those old Simpsons eps suggests that for me at least, it just ain't as good now as it used to be.

J. Allen wrote: View Post
You say "Dental plan!" and Lenny's voice pops up right away, with Marge's "Lisa needs braces!" "Dental plan!" "Lisa needs braces!" "Dental plan!".
All these years later and I can still almost recite that episode word for word.