View Single Post
Old November 14 2009, 07:47 PM   #312
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Malleus wrote: View Post
I'm sure I've posted in this thread before on why it's OK to go the STAR WARS route and not the timid TMP route, but I haven't considered these factors until now:

1) In one of the remastered episodes, some odd-looking Klingon ship is replaced by a D7. Likewise, the finalized Ambassador class is an odd-looking ship, and was cobbled up at the last minute without due consideration of Probert's model. A wholesale CGI replacement of this ship with the Probert model would allow for its later presence in a remastered DS9.

2) The Excelsior simply made too many appearances. Before the third season, the Excelsior was not scaled properly and looked too big. In the very first episode, the Excelsior model was a poor substitute for what should have been the first appearance of the Probert model, and this was indeed the initial plan.

3) Upscaling the Klingon Bird of Prey was just downright ridiculous, too. There is a reason why DS9 never used the so-called "K'vort class" Bird of Prey.
1. Although I understand what you're saying here, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the Enterprise-C was odd-looking, or
that it "was cobbled up at the last minute without due consideration of Probert's model." While time was indeed tight, there were budgetary considerations that prompted how the finished model ended up looking. It had nothing to do with an ignorance of Probert's design. However, any remastering would undoubtedly still make use of the finished design because the interior displays and diagrams would have to match the exterior shots.

2. Agree with you 100%, although IMHO it was seen far, far more (and far, far too much) in DS9 than it ever was in TNG.

3. I'll even go one better: The Klingon BoP should never have been seen in the TNG era at all. By that time, the design would have been extremely outdated, and would have posed no threat to a more advanced vessel like a Romulan Warbird.