View Single Post
Old November 10 2009, 01:52 PM   #42
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: TAS script length

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
40 pages really?
I have both "The Trouble With Tribbles" (TOS) and "More Tribbles, More Troubles" (TAS) scripts, both signed by David Gerrold, when I bought one of the last screen-used tribbles he'd found in his garage a few years ago.

"The Trouble With Tribbles" is 56 pp and "More Tribbles, More Troubles" is 39 pp. You might expect TAS scripts to be only 28 pp long, not 40, but the descriptions of sets, guests and actions tend to be quite lengthy for animation.

A quick skim and I can't see anything that wasn't on-screen.

Was there loads of stuff in some of the TAS scripts that didn't make it in the episodes?
Not usually. Animation scripts tend to be written and directed very tightly. It's unlikely the voice actors will improvise, or do multiple, different takes - especially since the cast of TAS were rarely together to record their lines. Their lines were usually taped separately, and sometimes even mailed to Filmation on audio cassette!

Major plot and character stuff? Can you give any examples of episodes and what was left of the floor of the writing room out of the finished episodes? Did the actors record the all the scripted dialogue for that stuff in the 40-odd pages scripts? Would it have survived...the original unedited studio sound recordings of the dialogue?
There really isn't much that wasn't in the episodes. Sometimes Alan Dean Foster expanded on little things in his "ST Log" adaptations, but he also added a lot of stuff that wasn't in the scripts. For example, expanding on Arex's musical abilities, Uhura's childhood, M'Ress serving on the USS Hood, etc.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote