View Single Post
Old November 9 2009, 09:59 PM   #14
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Conan Doyle's "The Lost World": still lacking a faithful adaptatio

Checkmate wrote: View Post
The problem isn't a technical one. The problem is that most if not all of the elements from the story have been stolen and/or bastardized by other franchises and the telling of this story -- much like the original post read -- would come across as a really lame rip-off despite it having come first.
I agree that that'd be part of the challenge. But just because elements of the novel have become familiar doesn't mean they aren't still exciting or marketable in their own right. The 2001 Planet of the Apes made $362m worldwide; Jurassic Park 3, $368m. Disney's Dinosaur, $349m. And ticket and dvd revenue for PJ's King Kong has totaled over $700m. Besides, if audiences never went for familiar concepts, there'd be no sequels or remakes at all.

So, I don't see any reason why a modestly-budgeted (for the adventure genre), well-acted and well-made Lost World couldn't do well. Besides, while Jurassic Park and Planet of the Apes aren't new to mainstream audiences, their mashup would be.

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'd rather have a good adaptation, regardless of its fidelity, than a faithful adaptation regardless of its quality.
I'm not sure we're using "faithful" in the same sense here. Per my OP, I'd be more than willing to tweak the narrative in order to achieve the best dramatic structure possible. By "faithful", I mainly mean faithful to the spirit, tone and era of the book. That means no women in the expedition (though there could be an important one in the human tribe), no stowaway kid and no modern-day PC sensibilities grafted onto the period clothes.

The trick would be to keep the focus on Malone's inner journey to self-confidence throughout the adventures. That's the key dramatic arc of the book, and a faithful adaptation should keep it front and center.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote