View Single Post
Old November 6 2009, 08:01 PM   #39
Kolrad
Fleet Captain

Re: What Don't You Like About "Batman Forever"?

But how are the villains in Batman and Robin "wrong"? They seem to follow the exact same pattern as the villains in Batman Forever. Neither movie is particularly concerned with giving the villains a lot of complexity or treating them seriously the way that The Dark Knight tries to do with Two-Face (he doesn't even become Two-Face until the last third of the movie).

Two-Face in Batman Forever is just a guy who's obsessed with duality the same way that the Riddler is obsessed with riddles, Poison Ivy is obsessed with plants, and Freeze is obsessed with cold. They each take their theme to the greatest possible extreme without concern for plausibility; you're not supposed to ask how or when the Riddler built that gigantic question mark tower, for instance-- he has it because he's the Riddler!

I'm not saying that it's wrong to take that approach to Batman and his villains; it's just a matter of taste. But I don't see a significant difference between the villains in Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, at least in terms of how they are written. (If it's just a matter of not liking the performance as much, I can understand that; Schwarzenegger is pretty one-note as Freeze.)

Kolrad is offline   Reply With Quote