View Single Post
Old November 6 2009, 12:14 AM   #28
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Re: What Don't You Like About "Batman Forever"?

I've caught bits and pieces of Batman Forever when it aired on AMC. I admit to really liking this film when it came out. But I was also a teenager when this film came out, so my tastes probably weren't quite as developed as they are now. The film really is tacky. Schumacher's take on the Batman universe is just all wrong. I understand that it's based on a comic series, but that doesn't mean the film itself has to play like a cartoon. Everything is over-the-top and exaggerated. The acting, the music, the set design, the costumes, the props, the lighting. The humor is bad. They really go for the cliches. I don't think there is a single moment in the entire film that's rooted in reality. Jim Carrey is basically playing himself, just in a silly costume. Tommy Lee Jones is completely wasted here, and looks like a caricature. I don't hate Val Kilmer's performance, but he doesn't do anything interesting, either. After Tim Burton's two entries, Batman Forever just takes a radical left turn down the wrong road.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote