View Single Post
Old November 3 2009, 02:06 AM   #24
Sci
Admiral

Re: "Children of Earth" & the Right to Bear Arms (spoilers)

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
However, I think "Children of Earth" does raise the issue of what can happen if we put unyielding trust in the government and don't take additional precautions to defend ourselves when the government becomes the enemy. What else do you suggest? That we surrender like sheep to the slaughter?
Realistically, the government won't become "the enemy"... at least not in the so-called Western world. So, those questions above are pretty much irrelevant.

For any country in the developed world to turn into a dictatorship again it would require some drastic changes (specifically, some drastic crisis or catastrophe) in the world. Just like the threat of apocalypse by an extra-terrestrial force in "Children of Earth".
I agree -- but I think that it's also fair to say that if the populace has a relatively high degree of gun ownership, that's just one more check in place to dissuade governments from becoming truly dictatorial.

Mind you, I'm in favor of gun control -- I don't think someone who has a history of major mental illness, or who is a convicted felon, ought to be allowed to own guns. Nor do I think citizens need "cop killer" bullets or automatic or semi-automatic or other military-grade weapons.

But by the same token, there's a strong tradition of independent hunting and gun ownership in the United States, and I don't think that's a bad thing or something that can or should be suppressed. It does provide a check -- not a definitive one, but one nonetheless -- against government encroachment on peoples' rights, and, well, it is a Constitutional right in the U.S. (as per the Supreme Court's 2007 ruling on the 2nd Amendment and the District of Columbia's gun control laws), and I for one am not a fan of taking away a right that has been found to exist. Prohibition didn't work against alcohol, it hasn't worked against drugs, it's failing against gay marriage, and it would fail against gun ownership.