View Single Post
Old October 29 2009, 07:29 PM   #17
FluffyUnbound
Rear Admiral

Re: SMITH + FAVREAU + SUPERMAN

I don't know if it's possible to really put Superman on screen in a compelling way any more without making dramatic changes to the character of a kind that would put off fans.

I never got into Smallville so I don't know how the screenwriters there took care of the #1 problem with Superman as a film character: he only has one vulnerability, so every time you make a movie about him it has to include, "...OK, and then the villain has some Kryptonite..." With the other possibility being, "...OK, and then the villain kidnaps - X - to hold them hostage and threaten Superman..."

There are just more ways to take Batman or Spiderman as characters because they can lose in a wider range of ways.

But if you start using dramatically different origin scripts, you can tweak the character's vulnerabilities to make them what you want them to be. That's probably why the studios find it so tempting and have commissioned scripts that do this. It's not because they're deliberately being dicks, they just don't want to keep making Superman 1 and 2 over and over again.

Zombies and Ancient Rome...two great tastes that taste great together.
FluffyUnbound is offline   Reply With Quote