View Single Post
Old October 23 2009, 02:59 AM   #49
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: Dukat's love for Ziyal--genuine or selfish?

Bluesteel wrote: View Post
DevilEyes wrote: View Post
I always thought that he cared for Ziyal only because Kira cared for her. He wanted to impress her.
So you don't think he loved Ziyal, but you believe he loved Kira so deeply and passionately to risk losing his career, social standing in the Cardassian Union, his mother, his wife and his 7 Cardassian children?

And you really think that makes more sense than the idea that Dukat loved his daughter?
I thought Dukat after a while was a really stupid character who did really stupid things. Probably because he was insane and the people close to him like Damar liked to ignore that. So yeah that's right. He's going to kill his daughter but NO! Kira protests and he realizes if he wants some Bajoran booty he can't kill her. He takes care of her and becomes a model father to impress Kira.

DiaboliKate wrote: View Post
^ Goodness. I am not a great believer in Dukat the perfect and loving father (I think he was a wretched father, who still loved his daughter on some twisted level) but that's a bit too cynical and twisted even for how I imagine Dukat!
More importantly, it doesn't make any sense.

When it comes to Dukat, the character in DS9, one thing he certainly never was is stupid. Neither was he insane before "Sacrifice of Angels".

The character Bluesteel describes seems like a badly written character in some really bad comedy/parody ("American Pie" meets "The Last King of Scotland"?). Or maybe a bad fanfic that attempts to be humorous.

If what I heard is true. Alaimo was playing Dukat the genocidal dictator of Bajor and Cardassia has a good guy. I'm pretty sure an actor like him would find a way to get into the soul of Dukat.
What does it mean, "playing him as a good guy"? Whether Dukat is a good guy or not depends on his actions and the way we perceive them, and the former depends on the script, while the latter depends on the viewers. The only thing an actor can do is try to understand their character, perhaps interpret their motivations in a certain way and imagine their background, have the character's point of view in mind - which is, IMO, a much better way to play a character than to tell yourself "I'm supposed to be the bad guy, so I'll just try to look very evil and make the viewers hate me". Especially since most people who do horrible things in real life think of themselves as good guys, or at least no worse people than everyone else (there are exceptions, but they're rare - you won't find many people who actually think of themselves as evil and are content to be evil).

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote