View Single Post
Old October 21 2009, 05:09 AM   #42
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

Re: Dukat's love for Ziyal--genuine or selfish?

Nerys Dukat wrote: View Post
Personally, I DID get the idea that there were self-esteem issues. MAJOR ones. He was always, always seeking validation from those around him, seemed to need it like food or air. He talked himself up, big time, yes...but when someone would deprive him of that external fix, he'd just go further and further and further until he got it, just like a junkie. What we saw--that massive ego...to me, it was more like a man on a high he's afraid to ever come down from, than anything genuine. And the one time he ever completely crashed--"Sacrifice of Angels"--it destroyed whatever was left of his sanity.
I agree - it's one of the things I see in that last encounter in the Fire Caves. He's not getting the Emissary of the Prophets to bow to him. He's getting Benjamin Sisko, the man who took his station- TWICE- and who is getting the love, respect, and adoration from the Bajorans he feels he deserved to bow to him, to show that Dukat is the greater man, even if he has to force it out of him. That's what's important to him in that moment. Now that he has the power to exert some control over Sisko, he's using that. To him, that moment is part of the conflict between the Prophets and the Pai-Wraths. It's just between those two men.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote