View Single Post
Old October 19 2009, 04:02 AM   #41
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
And this justice is only making things worse by continuing that cycle of racism. He could have stood up against it, but failed. His inaction allows racism to continue.
I agree, but I don't think that makes his actions and beliefs in themselves racist.

thestrangledcorpse wrote: View Post
The most basic fact of the case is this: the man was showing racist behavior. Whatever the motivations or faulty logic behind his behavior, the behavior itself is racist. A person who thinks that an interracial couple should not be married/have children, for the sake of said children is serving only to reaffirm racist attitudes and is therefore engaging in racist behavior.
I disagree. I believe motive defines a person's actions, not their unintended effects. In my book this man, based on what he's said alone (I know nothing of his inner motivations, if he has any), is not racist, and therefore neither were his actions. Overstepping his authority and worthy of termination, definitely. Racist - no.
Never fear! JuanBolio wuz here!

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote