Old October 19 2009, 03:37 AM   #35
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

F. Kreuger wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
JuanBolio wrote: View Post
No, I didn't mean to imply it was right or a good idea, just that it was reasonably fair.
Actually I was only asking if that would work.

If you've kept up on the news of this story, the JoP in question directed the couple to find another JoP who would be willing to marry them.
I questioned his sincerity when he did that (as if he'd said "yeah, right, good luck finding another one who'll do it"), but if it was genuine, well, I guess that's the pickle on the giant crap sandwich that was that couple's day.

I concur with the opinion that it is the justice's obligation to carry out the law. Nothing more, nothing less. His personal beliefs are irrelevant. He is required to serve the public trust. His individuality does not exist, in this context. His opinion does not count, he exists solely to serve the people according to the law.

Just like the pharmacist who refused to sell condoms on principle; they are not, and should not be, allowed to interject their own opinions.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote