View Single Post
Old October 17 2009, 05:41 PM   #52
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: Anybody else sick of Vampires?

I can understand the fascination with vampires, for the same reasons mentioned by Nile. Vampires are creatures of contrasts: forever young yet with old souls, animalistic instinct and refined manners, super-powered but vulnerable, capable of living for centuries yet always disconnected. And even if I am a guy, I can see why they appeal to a certain set of female sensibilities and fantasies. And I'm not even going into the sexual symbolism of blood and biting. There is a reason why "vampire" stories are ubiquitous in human mythology and literature, from African to Siberian folklore, from the distant past to the very now.

Nonetheless the ancient inspiration, the recent spawn of emo-vampires is really lame, taking away the limits of vampires or simply ignoring them. It is a Mary-Sueization of the vampire mythos, where they can do no wrong, the good guys (girls) love them and the bad guys (girls) hate them, and they spend their time pouting and brooding and reveling in angst for no discernible reasons.