View Single Post
Old October 16 2009, 08:52 PM   #37
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: In Defense of the Occupation

I know this is probably a joke- the wording makes me assume so, and to be honest I far prefer that interpretation to the belief that this is a serious post- but it's a very uncomfortable one. I'm not used to the DS9 forum being uncomfortable. As the Iquana said upthread, it's sad to see people apparently getting their jollies through this sort of thing.

Ideas of "inferiority" and the concept of growth through war have been used to excuse violence and suffering throughout history. What was the "benefit" of such activity? Nothing. True strength is found in alliance, co-operation and mutual compassion, of joining in common cause to support and enhance one another. Conquest, militarism, subjugation of others, wars of aggression; these are never justifiable and harm not only the victimized nation but the aggressor nation too.

My nation once embraced the "we're enlightening these inferior peoples" excuse wholeheartedly as "justification" for its imperialism and resource-grabbing. We came to truly believe it, which is, I would suggest, even more dangerous than honest "we're subjugating and killing people because they're in our way and we want their stuff". The reason it is more dangerous is because once you are assured that there is a "moral" motivation for it, your conscience is appeased and you don't have to confront it anymore. We British and our European neighbours all continued with the self-delusion until our imperalistic attitudes all fed into the First World War, and the fallout from that contributed to the Second World War. That's where such attitudes lead- not to betterment but to destruction. Which is what happened to Cardassia, too. Is Cardassia "better" now it's a smouldering ball of ash? If Cardassia had truly approached Bajor as a friend and ally, both Bajor and Cardassia would be whole today (so to speak...)

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; October 16 2009 at 09:45 PM.