View Single Post
Old October 16 2009, 06:50 PM   #45
unusualsuspex
Captain

Re: Star Trek : Angel

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Star Trek is trademarked and copyrighted by CBS Studios.
NO infringement is intended. All other material is copyright to Unusualsuspex 2009.

17 (cont)

SCORPION – CONTROL ROOM
CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
UFP SPACE
September 12th 2371 – 1243 FST

Ensigns Vonny Dixon and Kara Asheen had been working quietly at collating the information that Chariscarpia had allowed them access to and the action of the last twenty minutes had sharpened their need to complete the work as quickly as possible.

Chariscarpia had of course briefed them on what was happening and apologised that at that moment she could neither drop her shields nor spare the time to transport them back to Angel but assured them that she would do so as soon as possible. They had heard nothing from her since and so had continued their work while the big Remvellian security ensign LJ Xantharik had prowled around the control room “humph”ing at his inability to take action.

“Ensign Dixon?”

Chariscarpia’s face had appeared on one of the large monitors. Immediately LJ was alert.

“Chariscarpia, what is it?”

“I’m afraid I have little time in which to speak with you, but I have downloaded as much as I can into my command remote, the one you call Fido?”

Fido? mouthed LJ, and Vonny blushed slightly. “I know it, yes.”

“Once I send it through to you, you must step on to the transporter device one at a time and take the remote with you do you understand?”

Vonny nodded and was about to ask what was happening but Chariscarpia was already gone. With the familiar sound of the dissolving wall, the small sphere appeared and bobbed towards Vonny who reached up and clasped its warm shell. She looked at her two companions.

“So who wants to go first?”

RAPTOR TWO
CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
UFP SPACE
September 12th 2371 – 1245 FST

Homer was already tense in the cockpit of the USS Gunr so the strange sound of rustling material behind him almost made him wrench his neck as he span around in his seat.

“I assume from your expression that nobody told you I was coming?” said LJ Xantharik from his crouched position on the emergency transporter pad.

RAPTOR LEAD
CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
UFP SPACE
September 12th 2371 – 1245 FST

Seconds later, Mo had a similar heart stopping moment in the USS Hildr as first Kara Asheen and then Vonny Dixon appeared.

“Mo, I might be slightly late but I’ve just been told you should expect passengers?”

Mo smiled, indicating that Kara should take the spare right seat. “Already got ‘em my man. This just gets weirder by the second!”

Mo was sure she heard a deep voice that wasn’t Homer’s say “Amen to that.”

USS ANGEL – BRIDGE
ZETHANDER
UFP SPACE
September 12th 2371 – 1246 FST

Kat Gray sounded extremely relieved as she reported, “Sir Raptor Flight just checked in, they have our three crew members.”

“Thanks Commander, that’s one less worry. Any update from engineering?” Dan hated to hassle the engineers when he knew they were already working as hard and fast as humanly possible to do the job he’d asked of them.

“Nothing yet Sir.”

“Ok, let’s leave them to it.” He stood and crossed to Science One.

“T’Sell I get the feeling that Chariscarpia is hoping to shove the Borg back into that spatial rift. Is she going to make it in time?”

The half Vulcan science officer worked her board for a moment then shook her head. “At the moment Sir I cannot say. It is possible but with the aperture’s rate of shrinkage fluctuating as it is that could change.”

“I thought as much,” acknowledged Dan. “I need you to stand by with our tractors as soon as we get power back to the drives. Let’s see if we can’t give her some help.”

“Aye Sir.”

Come on Andi he silently chided, gimme one of those engineering miracles.

USS ANGEL – ENGINEERING
ZETHANDER
UFP SPACE
September 12th 2371 – 1248 FST

“Ach this is bloody stupid.” As Chief of Engineering, Lieutenant Commander Andi Machilveen had long since learned to overestimate repair times. She was fairly certain that most ship’s captains were aware of the trick by now but continued to do it anyway.

“Alpha Team, are the port EPS taps ready?”

“Yes Ma’am. 31 is still giving us an amber but we can’t clear it.”

“Good enough, just make sure there’s nobody near it when I shunt the load. Bravo Team, starboard taps ready?”

Lieutenant Axel Strandberg waved from his console. “All green Ma’am.”

Nodding, she tapped her commbadge. “Machilveen to bridge, either this’ll work or ye’ll have a very pretty fireworks display to remember!”

“Commander, you must have read my thoughts!”

“Just another of my many skills Captain.” She tapped in the re-route commands on her console, crossed her fingers and muttered something under her breath before hitting execute.

USS ANGEL – BRIDGE
ZETHANDER
UFP SPACE
September 12th 2371 – 1248 FST

Dan wasn’t certain, but he was sure there was at least one profanity in that short, muttered engineer’s prayer.

Whatever it was, it appeared to work as the lights returned to their normal levels and the power indications on his chair arm all flickered back into the green.

“Dinnae push her too hard Captain, I’m no’ sure how much she’ll take.”

“I’ll do my best Commander, good work!” He turned quickly to T’Sell. “Ready with that tractor Commander?”

“Aye Sir.”

“Open a hailing frequency to Scorpion.”

Once again, the serene face of the alien ship commander filled the screen, though she was looking worn now.

“Chariscarpia, we have power back online. I believe we can offer a little help in getting the Borg ship where it needs to go.”

“I believe that would be wise Captain. The aperture is becoming increasingly unstable.”

She closed her eyes for a moment and when she reopened them, T’Sell called out “Sir I have the computations from Chariscarpia. Ready to activate tractor.”

“Do it Commander.”

BORG ASSIMILATED VESSEL
CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
UFP SPACE
September 12th 2371 – 1249 FST

One of Fourteen was almost certain that the large white vessel would not be able to drag them into the aperture before it finally closed. He knew that unless the aperture of a transwarp conduit was immediately attributed to a transwarp hub, or otherwise stabilized, it would dissipate after a few hours. The fact that this one had remained open so long was more due to the accidental method of its creation than any other factor. He only required that their vessel resist for mere seconds longer. By then, according to his calculations, it would be too late and the alien ship would be his.

There was a lurch and without warning their velocity towards the aperture had increased.

Report.

Sensors indicate that the Federation vessel has restored power and is now adding there tractor capability to that of the alien vessel.

One knew that if they were he to activate weapons once more to deal with the Federation ship, then power would be taken from the drive and their fate was certain. If they did nothing, then they would be dragged into the aperture anyway which by now would have no exit back to the hub.

Overload the drive if necessary, break the tractor beam.

USS ANGEL - BRIDGE
ZETHANDER
UFP SPACE
September 12th 2371 – 1250 FST

“One minute to aperture closure Sir, diameter now 2000 metres.”

Dan was about to acknowledge T’Sell’s report when DeSalle cut him short.

“Sir Borg drive has increased output! Estimating warp core breach within sixty seconds.”

Dan gripped the armrests of the command chair. Sorry about this girl. He opened a link to engineering once more. “Commander Machilveen, divert all non-essential power to the tractor.”

“Ye won’t get long out of it Sir.”

“I’m praying we won’t need it.”

The lights dimmed and the effect on the Borg vessel was immediately obvious as its speed towards the aperture increased. At the same moment, Scorpion began a swing to port and the Borg, on their brilliant white tether, were whipped around towards the aperture.

SCORPION – CONTROL ROOM
CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
UFP SPACE

Chariscarpia applied full forward drive as she released the collector net to allow the Borg vessel to free fall towards the aperture…

BORG ASSIMILATED VESSEL
CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
UFP SPACE

Tractor the vessel!

At the instant the Borg vessel entered the rift, its tractor beam extended to grab Scorpion and despite the huge white vessel’s powerful struggle, it too was dragged backwards by the momentum and sank into the aperture.

USS ANGEL - BRIDGE
ZETHANDER
UFP SPACE

Dan didn’t have to order a switch in the tractor beam as T’Sell smoothly flicked it from pushing the Borg into the rift to attempting to pull Scorpion back out. Sadly, it was a battle Dan could immediately see they would lose.

RAPTOR LEAD
CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
UFP SPACE
September 12th 2371 – 1251 FST

In horror, the three occupants of Mo’s Valkyrie watched as the aperture contracted. Despite the valiant attempts by Angel, Scorpion slipped backwards until all that was visible was the forward two prongs of the bow, and the aperture tightened in to sever them. Just before it winked shut there was the blast of what appeared to be a warp core breach and the Hildr was sent tumbling backwards.

RAPTOR TWO
CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
UFP SPACE
September 12th 2371 – 1251 FST

“Hold on tight big fella!”

LJ needed no encouragement as he grasped the straps holding him into the cramped weapons operator seat.

Homer hauled the Gunr about hard and rode the compression wave that erupted from the collapsed aperture.
As the effects passed them, he swung the agile fighter back around to search for Mo.

“Ok this is where I need a little help big fella. Ever operated a tractor beam?”

LJ shook his head.

“Then you might wanna tighten your grip a little while I run ya through it.”

By the time they’d caught up with the cartwheeling Hildr LJ hoped he’d understood the basics and threw out the low power tractor beam.

“Nice and steady big man, just slow their rotation. You got it.”

Within a minute both Valkyrie’s were motionless in space, but Homer was receiving no response on intership from Mo.
“Best get in close and take a look see.” With a deft nudge of the thrusters, Homer expertly brought the small fighter in almost cockpit to cockpit with the Hildr where they could see three pale faces waving at them.

LJ tapped his commbadge and was gratified to receive an immediate response from Kara Asheen.

“Lieutenant Martari says that power is out but that we can last at least 15 minutes on the air in the cabin, more than enough time to be towed back to Angel.”

“Well we lost the big one,” whispered Homer, “but at least we got one small victory today.”
unusualsuspex is offline   Reply With Quote