View Single Post
Old October 16 2009, 12:08 AM   #164
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Ship Polaris

So, after the latest round of coordination with Dennis, the "sails" have been restored to the design for the Polaris. I had a backup plan in case he decided to go that way and I have to say I'm glad he did. I liked the version without the sails but I like this even better.

I decided to try to have the best of both worlds by making the sails transformational. Ordinarily, they are folded back in a standby position like you see above, but they can also rotate forward into a "deployed" position, probably when the ship is about to jump into hyperspace.

The Starship Polaris script refers to "hyperspace sails" and a "drive grid." This is my interpretation of those concepts, with the "drive grid" being the glowing blue arrays on the inside surfaces of the sails.

Other refinements to these latest sketches include some changes to the main engines. Again, per Dennis' request, I eliminated the bullet-shaped front ends of the engine housings and created more of an integrated, backswept "shoulder" profile similar to a version he preferred in one of the earlier sketches.

Dennis is reviewing these as I type, so we'll see whether this turns out to be the final version or if I have some more tinkering to do. I'm having so much fun with it that I'm cool either way.