TOS is spectacular on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by VOODOOXI, Oct 3, 2009.

1. VOODOOXI

VOODOOXI Commander Red Shirt

I'm sure this has been mentioned here before, but I can't say enough great things about the season 1+2 sets of TOS that were recently released on Blu-ray.

All I can say is simply throw out your old dvd's (assuming $ isn't an issue) and buy these absolutely flawless sets. I know it's a cliche, but I truly feel like I am watching these episodes for the first time as I watch TOS on Blu-ray.

The picture is nothing short of spectacular. The option to watch the classic episodes or the new episodes with the enhanced fx is great and there are countless hours (almost too much) of extra features.

I would give my highest possible rating to these great sets. Can't wait for season 3. They are worth every penny.

2. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is the picture quality for the old special effects also improved?

3. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed, I'm in love with these sets!

4. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed 100%

They did the right thing by grumpy old traditionalists like me and included the original effects, so I'm happy.

But man, the clean up job they did on that old film is truly breathtaking.

You will notice so many new colours (especially green) on those sets. The experts tell me this is the way it was meant to be seen all along - we've been watching faded copies for 40 years and the colours have been lost in some cases.

Till someone invents a holodeck, TOS will never look better than this. I actually bought a PS3 mainly to watch TOS on Blu-Ray, and I don't regret it one bit - you'll never watch your old TOS DVD's again after watching the Blu Ray version.

5. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not only do the episodes look, and sound, awesome, but the packaging - first time this has applied to TOS discs, or *any* Trek DVDs for that matter - is actually useable! Not something that makes you want to tear your hair out in frustration.

7. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Yes and no. The high-definition transfer includes every bit of every episode, but the original FX still look pretty grainy and indistinct due mostly I think to the limitations of 1960s special FX. They're never going to look any better. Some shots hold up better than others.

8. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

I kind of like the old TOS dvd packaging, but, yeah, I was running out of room with all the ridiculous boxes. Nice compact packaging.

9. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only thing that's a disappointment compared to the first season set is the mono track. The first season had the sound mix of the original airings (it was easy enough to tell the differences). This time, it's not quite accurate. Mainly due to the engine rumble of the Enterprise in the exterior shots. This was only added in the 1999 DVD prints. But, it's not the same mix as those either. A number of music cues altered for the DVDs are not present in the mono mix. But comparing the mono with the Laser Disc audio does reveal differences. It's actually kinda odd.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've decided that after the holidays and into the new year I'm going to pop for a blu-ray player and pick up the TOS sets on blu-ray. Not for the new f/x but to see the original footage in glorious detail and rich colour.

I'll also be looking forward to the TMP DE on blu-ray.

11. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

You won't regret it.

12. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Such a long wait for us Brits, before TOS Season 2 is out. Roll on late November.

I've heard CBS/Paramount aren't strictly inforcing that Region A/B encoding as was the case with 1/2 for DVD. No NTSC/PAL issues because HD 1080p is a universal format. That Blu-ray releases of Trek could be region-free... but its a lot of money (plus import tax) to test a theory.

Grrrr....

13. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

TOS mono soundtrack

ssosmcin no one has mentioned any details on the mono soundtrack comparison with other consumer releases.
    A real test would be "The Cage" as it has not been released before...we'll find out mid-December with season 3 being released on BR.

Thanks for the comments. Would you care to go into more details on specific episodes on season2 about the differences? I know not many people have VHS tapes pre-1999 they purchased to compare... And for that matter Laserdiscs are "collector items" at this point.

Does it sound as if sound effects were added in the 1999 DVD release (2 episodes per DVD) or Laserdisc release to the mono track ONLY os season 2 episodes?
    Can you give chapters for the music cue differences & what season 2 episode titles? (exact running time minutes/seconds if you can).
    This is the type of thing Trek fans can get detailed about.
    We all know about the music theme song re-recording for TOS-R in 2006 for the 5.1 sound remix.

Anyone else here a purist and actually PREFER the mono soundtrack?
    If so do you have a 5.1 surround speaker setup (with all 6 speakers) hooked up?
    (I'm not talking about the people with 2 or 3 speakers hooked up.)

14. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

I would recommend checking out the mono track on "Miri". Especially the main title followed by the captains log. Or any exterior shot of the Enterprise in that episode. It's not the original. The main title on "Balance of Terror" suffers the same problem.

New sound effects creeped their way into about half a dozen mono tracks on season 1.

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Going to get a bluray player soon, and the TOS disks after...just so I can ignore the old FX and watch the new ones!

RAMA

16. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

I have a 5.1 sound system and find the 5.1 mix done quite tastefully. Actually maybe a bit to "careful" for my taste. I have watched three episodes so far, and the only time the back speakers really get used effectivly is during the opening credits (different instruments of the theme music come from behind you, plus the "swwwooosh" of the Enterprise zipping by)...even during bridge scenes there is no real "surround" there...I had expected the backround noise to come from all sides (the beeping etc.)...but nothing.

17. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: TOS mono soundtrack

Well, off the top of my head, Friday's Child. Kras is holding off the Capellan's with a confiscated phaser. Originally, the horrible ADR (being an outside shot) had crunched some of his words together, but it came out to: "you and your primitive knives and weapons!" The DVDs "fixed" that line by making it "you and your primitive knives and your weapons!" (emphasis mine) It sounds just as bad, and it was unnecessary.

Anyway, the mono track on the Blu-Ray has him saying it the DVD way. Also, the rumble of the ship in pretty much all the exterior effects shots is now present when it wasn't heard at all in season 2. I haven't checked, but A Private Little War's final shot had no sound effects on the DVD either, which was great since the ending was grim and the silence kept that atmosphere. I would imagine the Blu-Ray is the same, but I really ought to check.

Mirror, Mirror: the USS/ISS Enterprise flip flop in the beginning was sound effects free originally. The DVDs added something like a dull "flashbulb" sound to each color flash. The Blu-Rays retained this on all tracks.

I am a little concerned about season 3. A few new sound effects stick out on the DVDs. Like Paradise Syndrome, when Kirk hits the memory beam in the beginning. Again, music only, no sound effects. Actually, the music was in rhythm with the optical and the MUSIC was the sound effect. The DVDs laid in the "door whoosh" sound for that!

Yes, that's why I kept the VHS tapes and actively sought out the Lasers until I had the whole set - well after I bought the DVDs. I prefer the original sound effects and music even more than the original optical effects. Ever since Balance of Terror had torpedo sounds added and The Menagerie Part 2 wound up with Doomsday Machine music and Fred Steiner LP rerecordings instead of the actual score, I've made sure I had the original mixes.

And yes, I have a 7.1 surround hookup and still prefer the fidelity ot the original filmed episodes. I hate these remixes that add sounds that were never there before (Like the Superman and V Mini-series DVDs).

Also, and this is just a personal thing, I sometimes like to watch my shows with a truly nostalgic eye. I actually enjoy watching the less sharp prints because that was how I fell in love with it and to please that inner child who wants to come out once in a while.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009