View Single Post
Old October 12 2009, 02:48 PM   #87
Sci
Admiral

Re: Cleopatra's Needle - Design Proposals

BolianAdmiral wrote: View Post
^

Okay, well I can certainly understand all of your points, Christopher, and I do admit, they are all valid. I just personally don't see it along those lines. Yes, you are absolutely right, in that in retrospect, it was also a huge error on the part of GEN, to have kind of featured the whole El Aurian aftermath thing. But again... personally, I don't see the public having knowledge of the Borg as simple as us knowing about Somali pirates. I mean, consider that Starfleet/the UFP already know that the Borg are indeed hostile, are absolutely unstoppable, and can have destroyed an entire world. The Borg do not communicate as casually as we do, so we have no way of knowing their intent. That is a huge potential risk to Earth and the UFP, and I don't see the UFP releasing information like that, until they at least have a better idea of the Borg's intent.
I'm not trying to be rude or divert the thread or resurrect an old fight. But I'm genuinely curious about why you think Starfleet would be in the habit of censoring free speech about theoretical external threats to Federation security. How does it benefit Federation security to do that? What motivation would Starfleet have for violating Federates' free speech rights?