View Single Post
Old October 10 2009, 06:17 AM   #37
Red Ranger
Admiral

Re: Replacing Smallville...

Some interesting ideas. For an LSH show on the WB to work, they'd have to be time travelers who come to modern Earth to prevent time-traveling villains from changing the timeline. The mystery is they received a message fragment from themselves in the 21st century, but they don't know quite who the villains are, so they have to piece that together. Setting it now means no expensive 31st-century sets.

To go in a completely different direction, I wouldn't mind a young Conan the Barbarian show. Show his early adventures and how he becomes the legendary warrior envisioned in the Robert E. Howard novels. His rival in romance and swordplay could be Red Sonja. And the main recurring villain would be the evil wizard Thoth-Amon. (Guess that sounds a bit too much like Hercules with Kevin Sorbo.)

I've always thought adapting the Manhunter DC Comics character from the 1970s, written by Archie Goodwin and drawn by a then little-known Walt Simonson would be cool. He was one of the first Silver Age characters that killed, predating Wolverine by a few years. Obviously, his costume would be too outlandish for a live-action series, but his weapons (shurikens, Burundi dagger, gun) would be fine.

I for one would love to see a period piece based either on The Shadow, Doc Savage, or The Avenger/Justice, Inc. Those would be expensive to produce, of course. I like those period pulp novel characters. If someone decided to go that route, I'd most love to see a Shadow series.

Now, since they're already doing a Captain America film, doubt they'd do a live-action TV show. But it could be fun if it's set during World War II, like the first series of Wonder Woman TV-movies back in the '70s. Imagine as Cap battles the Red Skull, Baron Zemo, and other Nazi and Imperial Japanese threats. That would be a cool throwback!

In that vein, it would be interesting to have a super-spy type series set during the Cold War, too. Maybe a revival of sorts of the Our Man Flint movies (which featured James Coburn as the title character), which featured an American James Bond fighting the Russians and other Cold War types.

Red Rum!

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by Red Reindeer; October 10 2009 at 06:36 AM.
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote