View Single Post
Old October 10 2009, 02:46 AM   #2
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: Uncomfortable Plot Summaries

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Of special interest to Trekkers:

• STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE: Megalomaniac can’t let go of past glory, drives successor to suicide.
  • STAR TREK III: Military officers steal vessel and destroy it to eliminate a handful of enemies while engaged on an extremely vague rescue mission.
  • STAR TREK IV: Interplanetary fugitives poach wildlife from a past age to cover up an act of genocide.
  • STAR TREK VI: Racist military commander past his prime nearly ruins galactic peace.
Browncoats, watch out:

FIREFLY: In an analogue of the post-Civil War west, a white man on the losing side bosses around a black woman.

SERENITY: Men fight for possession of scantily clad mentally ill teenage girl.

Uncomfortable Plot Summaries
You forgot to mention:

STAR TREK: Over-sexed officer routinely places crew in danger.

And in the comments:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan:
Government stooge kills senior citizen after forcing him to move and then demolishing his new home.

My favorites from the list are:

DIE HARD: Dysfunctional cop saves marriage by murdering foreign national.
DOCTOR WHO: Elderly man serially abducts young women.
GHOSTBUSTERS: Unemployed college professors destroy hotel with nuclear weapons.
GROUNDHOG DAY: Misanthropic creep exploits space/time anomaly to stalk coworker.
LORD OF THE RINGS: Midget destroys stolen property.
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK: American yahoo murders soldiers and desecrates religious artifacts for money.
SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS: Layabout stepdaughter shacks up with seven miners.
STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE: Religious extremist terrorists destroy government installation, killing thousands.
STAR WARS: EMPIRE STRIKES BACK: Boy is abused by midget, kisses sister, attempts patricide.
STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI: Handicapped mass murderer kills septugenarian, is lauded.

I like the way it makes those plots look disturbing, while making really the plots of really disturbing movies look so innocuous and family-friendly (Deliverance, Lolita, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me). And the summary of Se7en is so wrong it makes you laugh and feel guilty about it.

However, I have to say that some summaries are quite accurate in fact and pretty much pinpoint the real idea of the movie, whether the people who came out with it realize it or not (The X-Men, Vertigo).

my Buffy/Angel rewatch

Last edited by DevilEyes; October 10 2009 at 04:23 AM.
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote