View Single Post
Old October 7 2009, 06:06 PM   #17
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: New Composer and Theme for Series Five?

Tomalak wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Doctor Who needs a composer who can be in the editing room, writing his score, and then matching it, in editing, to the scene.
They don't have the time or money for that.
Nonsense. Thanks to the internet, composers can and do work from their garage, with the stuff e-mailed to them. They don't need to be there. And some composers don't even need a full orchestra. I remember watching a DVD featurette on the guy who composed the music for Wonderfalls. He did it from his garage.

Back to the main question, I only hope whoever they have is at least of the calibre of Gold. Some people don't like his work, but for me he was 100 times better than the dull, unmemorable scores that we had during the original series. I bought a number of the soundtrack albums for the original, and I've only played them maybe once. Except for the Doctor Who Theme and the rare, occasional bit of music, it elevator muzak as far as I was concerned (and I know there are fans of the classic-series composers who will take exception to this; now you know how Gold fans feel when he's cut down). Gold's scores I can listen to over and over again.

If they can get someone who can create such memorable work, then I agree maybe it's time to give someone else a try. If they can't, then I'd say keep Gold.

As for the theme -- and we should make sure we note that we're talking about a new arrangement, as blood would run in the streets of Leeds if anyone suggested a new theme tune -- a new arrangement is a certainty. And some people will love it and some people will hate it. Like I said in another thread, it's a certainty. I'm looking forward to what they come up with.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote