View Single Post
Old October 1 2009, 10:18 PM   #395
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Re: ENT Forum Get To Know You Thread Pt 2

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Mach5 wrote: View Post
NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Say, how is Star Trek broadcast in Croatia? Do they merely add Croatian subtitles or are all the series dubbed?
Thank God NO! Only cartoons get dubbed in Croatia, because of the Kids. Anyway, Croatian sci-fi fans are vocal, and doing something as stupid as dubbing Trek would trigger a revolution.
Well, I'm generally not a fan of dubbing and will always prefer the original version of a program. I do not, however, share your apparent hatred for dubbed programs either. I don't know about Croatian dubbing, but German dubbing is widely considered to be of rather high quality. Granted, dubbing an original program is altering it. But so is adding subtitles.
By dubbing a program, you deprive the audience of actors' vocal performances, and that's what makes it fundamentally wrong IMO.

Plus, subtitling has another advantage - you wouldn't believe how much it helps people learn foreign languages. It's basically how I learned English (though having a devil for the English professor at the university didn't exactly make matters worse )