View Single Post
Old September 30 2009, 08:38 AM   #243
jaksajak
Lieutenant

Re: Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions

NEO f/x wrote: View Post
FalTorPan wrote: View Post
NEO f/x, do you have any recommended web sites or books for people who might want to do something similar to Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes?
Thanks for asking....As most folks may know, we didn't start off with 2D animation. Instead, we are known for our CGI. However the concepts are very similar...basically fooling the eye that what the person sees on the screen is 'real' or 'realistic' with regard to the environment presented.

What you will find is that no matter what the medium is..whether it be 3D or 2D, it really is just a method for telling a story. For example, South Park (and even Filmation-style animation) are not the most advanced animation techniques; however I rarely notice them now as they have established themselves as the delivery mechanisms, and I simply pay attention to the stories at this point.

With this being 2009, I wouldn't worry about finding material on how to do traditional stop-frame animation (which, technically Filmation was...we 'fake' it, as does South Park now). Instead, I would UNDERSTAND how they did it, and see if you can find 2009 method for achieving the look you are going for. Most likely, it will be computer-based, and either Adobe Flash or something similar to that. To get started from even the basic level, you may want to look at items like this: http://goanimate.com/ or
http://www.reallusion.com/reallusion...roductdemo.asp

Bottom line, define the look and style you are going for, and find a method for doing it consistently. But don't let the process of making the animation get in the way of your telling the story. Filmation Trek, by its virtue, is not a lot of action; instead it was typically a lot of talking, head shots, and storytelling. But, don't paint yourself into a box either....once you define your look, expand upon it to do different things and to tell more complex stories.

I wish I could be more helpful with suggestions, but it really is for you to define what you want it to look like and how much time you wish to spend on it. If you want to pump something out quick, something above might work. For your own style, you may have to spend a bit of time and work a lot on it. At the end of the day, it will be YOUR creation, and no one can take that away from you.
Nice comments!
jaksajak is offline   Reply With Quote