View Single Post
Old September 30 2009, 12:42 AM   #69
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Re: Cleopatra's Needle - Design Proposals

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I know what a portmanteau is in the original sense, but it wasn't relevant to my response. I don't see why you'd assume I'm incapable of understanding your reference just because I didn't bother to quote it. Especially since you'd see, if you bothered to follow the link I provided, that the article in question overtly acknowledges that sense of the word and explains why Carroll used it as an analogy.

And I still don't understand why you'd think I was being bombastic for using a linguistic term in its proper definition. "Portmanteau word" is not a high-flown, pretentious substitute for a more routine technical term; it is the routine technical term. It's simply the correct word to use for that particular concept. I'm not aware of any other. I'm genuinely bewildered that you find it objectionable.

Anyway, can we get back on topic now? DEWLine, I wanted to remind you that the text describes Cleopatra's Needle as containing a "compact lounge" for the crew (see p. 125). I describe "the team" sitting in the lounge, implying it's able to hold at least half a dozen people. I don't see anything on your deck plans that could serve as a lounge.
I apologize for offending you. I was trying to convey a certain point and I was obviously not clear enough for you to understand. I certainly did not expect you to respond as you did.

Again, I apologize.

And yes, I agree, we can indeed get back on topic now.

I think that long distance passenger trains might serve well as some inspiration. They're great at cramming in lots of people into small spaces for long periods.

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote