View Single Post
Old September 25 2009, 08:49 PM   #9
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
What the bloody hell? Are conditions THAT FUCKING BAD on the set? Why would everyone just up and leave?
CI took a very significant budget cut when it was shunted over to the USA Network. Keeping that in mind, it's expensive to keep a show on the air for eight years -- escalator clauses in actors' contracts call for yearly salary increases, union crew members' expenses go up, etc. Even though Vincent D'Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe weren't exactly household names when CI started, keeping them contracted for eight years gets pricey. (While D'Onofrio's well-publicized personal issues were part of the reason that the A/B detective split happened, the financial part of it was that Chris Noth was simply cheap at the time.) Same thing with a few years of Eric Bogosian.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole "shut it down, throw everything out, start over" thing that happened after Goldblum's first two or three episodes were in the can played a part in this, either.

bigdaddy is right about the Law & Order franchise in general, though: This is almost guaranteed to be Vanilla's final year on the air, given its budgetary woes and its move to the Friday night graveyard, and I don't think there's any chance of SVU continuing beyond the expiration of Meloni and Hargitay's contracts in two years.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote