View Single Post
Old September 24 2009, 07:09 PM   #191
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2009

Hurt Locker was alright. A tad predictable - I knew in advance who was going to die - and its most interesting idea was, well, war as a career one's proud of and a little addicted to (or 'drug' as the term is used at the beginning of the film). A fine picture but not by my estimation the best of the year.

That was Moon. Which is also the best sci-fi movie of the decade.

Um, other than that I saw Antichrist (which was... well... it was - this is probably the first time I've ever saw a film and then had difficulty sleeping later that night, I will give it that, and plenty more - it manages to be disturbing through uniquely unsettling imagery, grotesquely unnerving ideas and good old fashioned genital mutilation), the two Mesrine films, which I enjoyed quite a bit, Star Trek, which was a blast, District 9, which was also a lot of fun even if I probably would have liked the movie I expected from the trailers better, and Public Enemies was limp and dead on arrival in execution. There are probably other movies I'm forgetting, and as usual I saw too many films on home video to make any reasonable estimation about them.

Oh yes and Inglourious Basterds. I think Aldo Raine's final line sums it up nicely, easily one of the best films of the year and a sheer joy from beginning to end. Am looking forward to A Serious Man because it's a Coen movie and the trailer is extremely riveting.
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote