View Single Post
Old September 21 2009, 05:12 PM   #23
JustKate
Rear Admiral

Re: Cooking Abomination!! XD

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I once tried to make pudding from scratch. Epic fail.

For some reason - and to this day I have absolutely no idea how this happened - scrambled eggs appeared as if by magic. I took that as a sign that I should never attempt this again.

I would like to hear an explanation, though. From those of you who *can* cook. How the hell do scrambled eggs appear in the middle of a pudding mixture? This was a long time ago, but I do remember I put in the exact ingredients the recipe called for. How could I have fucked up that badly? What did I do wrong?
I know, I know! At least I have pretty good idea. Azlynn is right. What happened is that you didn't "temper" your eggs. Eggs cook really quickly, as you probably know, and so when you add them to a hot mix of some kind, such as a pudding mixture, you need to warm up the egg mixture a bit so that the eggs can be incorporated into the rest of the ingredients before they cook.

The way to do this is to:
1. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and get them to the desired consistency.
2. With a spoon or with your whisk, take a small amount of the hot mixture that you're planning to add the eggs to, but instead add it to the egg mixture. Stir it in immediately and thoroughly.
3. Take a little more of the hot mixture, add it to the egg mixture, stir it in immediately and thoroughly.
4. Take a little bit more of the hot mixture, add it to the egg mixture, stir it in immediately and thoroughly.
5. Now that the eggs are warmed up a little bit, you can add them to the hot mixture, but you need to stir them in gradually, mixing constantly. Make sure you get them thoroughly incorporated.

Here's a nice little video from Better Homes & Gardens: http://www.bhg.com/videos/m/21882551/tempering-eggs.htm
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote