View Single Post
Old September 19 2009, 01:01 AM   #252
wjaspers
Lieutenant Commander

Re: WIP - TMP Enterprise, deck by deck

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
This is a very common practice, but as far as I'm concerned, aren't we just talking "parts" versus "assemblies," and "subassemblies?"
Yes we are.

For example:

If I make a PCBA ("printed circuit board assembly") with fourteen instances of the same resistor, I simply assemble those parts into my assembly and the memory-footprint per component remains the same, while the assembly only contains the "placement" data associated with that instance.
Yes, that is exactly what you do with XREF. Your "master" contains only the "placement".

There are also, in ProENGINEER, things called "UDFs." No, they're not birth-control devices. Rather, they're "user-defined features"... something which can be created once, then easily copied to many locations. This is popular, for instance, for repeated features like the "standoff bosses" inside of molded parts. These, however, do add to the size of the PART which they're added to.
Yes that is what CTM is doing with his blocks. But he has to do this in his subassembly. He can rework the subassemblies without having the trouble of loading his complete ship.

I would NOT use "UDF" type features for the corridors, but I might seriously consider using PARTS in an ASSEMBLY to do this, especially if there are many repeated features.
"UDF" or blocks as they are called in AutoCad, can be manipulated from outside the drawing, for example the corridors, you can change a corridor (which would be just a small drawing), and then load your subassembly, and AutoCad change the instances (blocks) at once. So yes, I would use them, but only in combination with subassemblies (XREF).

Mind you, it doesn't change "data manipulation" times once it's in memory... transformations and rendering still depends on the total data, so every "part" takes the same this way in any case. However, the amount of regeneration, the memory footprint, and the hard-drive footprint... those are significantly reduced by reusing parts multiple times.
Exactly, and working on the subassemblies without having to load or regenerate the whole model, will let you work a lot faster.
wjaspers is offline   Reply With Quote