View Single Post
Old September 18 2009, 06:50 AM   #183
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Re: Movies Seen in 2009

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
I almost never watch films theatrically anymore. I watch them on Blu-ray and/or Sky Movies HD instead. I keep track of the films I watch as I see them for the first time. So far this year I've seen 97 films that I hadn't seen previously:

The Goonies (1985) - lots of fun; I'm a child of the 80s, but somehow this one slipped through the net and I only got around to seeing it now

The Virgin Suicides (1999) - pretty good, but doesn't amount to much

Blow Out (1981) - an effective chiller with an unsettling ending

Sunset Blvd. (1950) - a great film; it stands up extremely well

The Night of the Hunter (1955) - good, with some very memorable moments, but not quite as good as its reputation

The Thing (1982) - a great film, John Carpenter's best and one of the best of the genre

Brazil (1985) - at first it seems like it might be one of Gilliam's cacophonous, messy endeavors, but it comes together and hits the target, ultimately living up to its good reputation

The Black Hole (1979) - some dated FX and production design (particularly regarding the robots and the visible wires), but good fun nonetheless and generally better than its reputation; the model work for the spaceships holds up well
Interesting line-up there. I agree with much of what you've said. As a kid I missed the boat on "The Goonies" too despite being born in the 80s, but I love it as an adult. Nice to see "Blow Out" mentioned...I was so happy to discover that underrated gem a few years ago.

I'm disappointed by your rather faint praise for "The Night of the Hunter" which I think is one of the most amazingly shot and acted movies of all time. Just saw "Sunset Blvd." and "The Black Hole" recently and liked them a lot too. I disagree about "Brazil" and "The Thing". I found them both overrated and ultimately hollow and underwhelming aside from some great special effects, but I'm obviously in the minority of opinion about those.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote