View Single Post
Old September 16 2009, 11:35 AM   #234
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP
Re: Moments that really made you cringe or disliked

Sean Aaron wrote: View Post
Except it's clearly receiving an incoming phone call -- what did he put up a long discontinued transmission tower out near the barn too?
I can put a sound file on my mobile that makes it sound like someone's hailing me, does that mean I'm tied into the subspace network? Less facetiously, there would have been nothing to stop George from having modifying the programming of the in car phone to tie into whatever civilian communication system there is avaiable on 23rd Century Earth, or just straight up replacing it, only leaving a fascimilie control panel to imitate an actual car phone.

And I'm not talking about other films here (and yes, product placement and brands most certainly does date them), I'm talking about Star Trek which has never featured product placement like this. Would everyone have been perfectly happy if the tricorders in The Motion Picture had a big fat Commodore logo on the back?
What about the Commodore that was in Kirk's apartment in ST:II and III? Maybe collecting antiques is a Kirk tradition If the logos were on actual and modern equipment (modern for the setting), it would date it, but in these contexts, it's obvious that they're not meant to be up to date in the first place.

I'd also like to highlight the Beastie Boys song -- not because it's cringeworthy, but if you're going to do that, where was the more classic Planet Rock? Perfect soundtrack to Vulcan getting sucked into a singularity methinks.
I'm going to probably have to show my age (lack of?) and say I don't have a clue what kind of music you're on about there. To be fair though, I didn't recognise is as the Beastie Boys and thought it was some kind of Rage Against the Machine song