View Single Post
Old September 16 2009, 02:29 AM   #10
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor
Re: Cleopatra's Needle - Design Proposals

Christopher wrote: View Post
BolianAdmiral wrote: View Post
I have to agree with Christopher, regarding the Raven... I seriously doubt it was a genuine Starfleet design. I prefer to think along the lines that it was a small "research" type ship, that Starfleet was loaned by some academic institution, like the Daystrom Institute, or the Vulcan Science Academy. Personally, I think that makes more sense.
That's getting it backward, though. The Raven wasn't used by Starfleet. It was manned by two civilian scientists, Magnus and Erin Hansen, who had their daugher Annika along with them. And yet its consoles and display graphics were standard Starfleet-issue stuff. If anything, it looked like the opposite of what you're saying -- a Starfleet-built vessel that somehow ended up in civilian hands, after being decommissioned, perhaps.

And if you look at its MSD, the thing is five decks high and clearly designed to accommodate a crew of maybe a couple of dozen, so what was it doing with only three people aboard? That just reinforces the idea that it was some kind of Starfleet hand-me-down that somehow ended up in the Hansens' private possession or use.
How is that in any way different than what I was talking about? Yes, it was a non-Starfleet ship, that was used by Starfleet, as it had a "U.S.S." designation... I did not ever state that it was designed by Starfleet... where did I say that? Show me.

What I said, was that it was probably loaned to Starfleet to use, by some academic institution, or was the equivalent of a small "Coast Guard" type of ship. The LCARS and MSD can be accepted, as many ships in today's maritime world use the same or similar navigation and control software, so it's not outlandish, to think that LCARS would be on the Raven.

You are also correct, in that it may well be a Starfleet "hand-me-down"... maybe something that was pulled from a surplus depot, or something.

I just don't see what issue you're taking with my point?

EDIT: The Hansens were civilians, but had to be in some way sanctioned by Starfleet, to have gained access to Starfleet records, concerning the Borg (Even though this whole farce of an episode took place before the 1701-D's encounter at System J-25). They may have been doing a private-sector project, but I'm sure Starfleet had a role in it, at some point.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote