View Single Post
Old September 15 2009, 01:17 PM   #52
EmperorKalan
Commander

Re: Your favourite TrekLit ships?

Christopher wrote: View Post
The ship has a "compact bridge -- little more than a cockpit, really." The bridge has a door that can be locked from the inside. There is a "compact science lab" and a "compact lounge" (I sense a theme). I refer to a transporter stage but not a transporter room; given that the transporter gets a good deal of use as an archaeological tool, the transporter stage might be part of the lab facilities. The ceilings aren't especially high, adequate for humans but too low for the taller Caldonian member of the crew.

How big was Cousteau's Calypso? That might be a good analogy. Hmm, Wikipedia puts it at 42 meters long, 3 decks, with a crew capacity of 27. I don't think Cleo's Needle needs to be that large, since the crew is half that.

Hmm, thinking it over, I'd guess the Needle might have two decks -- assuming something roughly cylindrical with room for chambers on either side of a narrow central corridor, two decks seems right for giving it a height comparable to its width. Since it's pretty narrow, a length around 40-45 meters might be about right -- that's a little over twice the length of a runabout, but a runabout's only got one deck (plus the warp core on top).
Just as an aid to visualization, compare equivalent spaces (bridge/flight deck, quarters, infirmary, galley, common areas, etc.) of Cleo's Needle and Firefly's Serenity: the spaces on CN seem like they'd be 50-60% of the size of the same sort of spaces on Serenity (always easier when you don't have to account for cameras ). Does that sound about right?

DEWLine wrote: View Post
Would the Needle's crew likely be double- or triple-bunking? (IE: two or three bunk beds to a vertical stack to make room for the lab gear and cargo stowage)
I would guess that many (maybe not all, but most) would bear a resemblance to current day boats and yachts that are intended for anything longer than day-trips (in keeping with the Calypso analogy above): storage spaces everywhere, many fixtures that are fold-away or dual- or multi-purpose. (Not to mention a custom-starship mght have even more exotic space-saving solutions, like zero-g hammocks for when extra people on board make sleeping space even more scarce.) Nothing like the various Starfleet quarters we've seen in various shows.
main drive is gone...
turret number one not responding...
Mayday...
losing cabin pressure fast...
calling anyone...
please help...
EmperorKalan is offline   Reply With Quote