View Single Post
Old September 12 2009, 11:38 PM   #19
The Badger
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine--The Cleanest Food To Find

Sorry, did mean to comment earlier, but it's been one of those days!

I'll get the bad stuff out of the way first. Once Ezri had started counselling young Dr. Tarses then she really shouldn't be discussing his case with anyone, not even his immediate superior. Client confidentiality is an essential part of any counselling process.

In addition, a well meaning intervention by someone untrained in counselling techniques can often go badly wrong. Doctor Bashir could have made the situation a lot worse with his attempts to prop up Tarses' self respect, though fortunately it didn't play out that way.

Having said that, I can't really imagine any dramatic value in a more realistic approach, so I'm going to let this go because I'm enjoying the story itself. And whilst it may be a breach of professional ethics, it's nowhere near as bad as TNG's episode 'Tin Man', with Deanna Troi blurting out 'No. He was my patient!' in front of the entire bridge crew.

Despite that, a come to praise this fanfic, not to bury it. Whilst I may quibble over some of the details, it is consistently well written (although could do perhaps with slightly fewer italics). The dialogue rings true and I can easily imagine the actors saying the lines.

And I'm glad we seem to have gotten an explanation for the rather odd title, which does fit the DS9 style.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote