View Single Post
Old September 12 2009, 09:05 AM   #73
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Mr. Spock instead of Sir or Commander

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
There's no such thing on a carrier as "Helmsman" in any case. That would be the "Conning Officer".

This is from: WWW.NAVY.MIL .....a pretty cool site.

US Navy Today
September 11, 2009

Small Texas Town Gives Abe Two Helmsmen
Story Number: NNS021218-01
Release Date: 12/18/2002 7:28:00 AMBy Journalist 3rd Class Heather Stanley,
USS Abraham Lincoln Public Affairs

ABOARD USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN, At Sea (NNS) -- Quartermaster Seaman Jeremy West joined the Navy to see what the world outside of his small hometown of Borger, Texas, had to offer.

....Culwell is now a master helmsman - qualified to Culwell is now a master helmsman - qualified to drive the ship in restricted evolutions like underway replenishments and pulling into ports. West is training to do the same.

Culwell wants to use his helmsman qualification for future experience. “I wanted to be a master helmsman because I want to drive ships for the Merchant Marines when I get out of the Navy, and I can get the experience here,” said Culwell.

West, who works on the bridge as a quartermaster, said it was watching other master helmsman that made him decide to get qualified.

“(Quartermaster 3rd Class Christopher) Shans is the best driver on the ship,” said West. “I learned watching him drive that it is very challenging work, and you get a lot of respect for it.”

"Each of us, at some time in our life, turns to someone, a father, a brother, a God and asks why am I here?

Last edited by T'Girl; September 12 2009 at 09:17 AM.
T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote