View Single Post
Old September 12 2009, 01:09 AM   #68
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Re: TOS' U.S.S. Valiant and Farragut....

Warped9 wrote: View Post
3D versions of my designs have been done before and I don't mind as long as credit is acknowledged.

My situation is while I'd love to do 3D models myself I just don't have the skills. I can draw and draft in the oldfashioned 2D way either with pencils and drafting instruments or on the computer with Illustrator. I can draw perspectives. But I'm lacking in 3D skills and it's a steep learning curve.

Somebody around here expressed interest in rendering my TOS shuttlecraft drawings in 3D and that I'd like to see. Evenetually I'll get my TAS shuttlecraft versions done and those would also be cool in 3D.

Presenetly I'm focusing more on my own non-Trek designs which will also be rendered in 3D when ready.
Actually, I'm that "somebody." I started on it, then let it sit when I really started getting into the 1701... I now think of this as part of the whole 1701 model I'm doing (much as I think of the turbolift car I developed for it). Since all my work is in "full scale," the only real issue is how many polygons I want in a rendered scene... and that's not really an issue even for a 32-bit system (it's the purely-math-based geometry that's the system killer, and by comparison, polygon-surface-based stuff is really trivial in terms of system resources!)

Never fear... I WILL finish that shuttlecraft version. But I really want to get the 1701 proper done first. And with what's essentially 4X the computing power (12GB versus 3GB, and 8 cores versus 2 cores) I should have no trouble making it happen.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote