Old September 8 2009, 08:26 PM   #4
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine--The Cleanest Food To Find

Here's the next two scenes (two--because they're pretty short):

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
The Cleanest Food To Find
Scenes 2 & 3

The next morning, Ezri sat at her desk in her office. After checking her schedule, she hit the com panel. “Dax to Lieutenant Tarses.”

A young, unsteady voice answered. “Tarses here.”

“Lieutenant, this is Counselor Ezri Dax. Are you alone?”

“I am....

“I should like to set up an appointment to see you, as soon as possible.”

“Uh—is there a problem, Counselor?”

“Not really. It’s just a counseling session—standard procedure for any new additions to the senior staff of essential departments. You understand.”

“I…guess so....

“All right. What time today would be best for you?”

“I…I don’t know....

“Do you have any plans?”

“No—no, I don’t.

“What time are you off duty?”

“1700, ma’am.”

“The moment you come off duty, head straight to my office. You know where it is?”

“Uh, yes—yes I do.”

“Good. 1705—don’t be late.”

“Yes, Counselor.”

“Dax out.” Ezri leaned back, smiling. I wish all my patients were that convenient—

Wait a minute. Come to think of it, none of her patients had ever been that convenient.

Her smile vanished. Ezri turned to the companel…and sighed in mild frustration, shaking her head.

“He’s not coming.”

“He didn’t show up?”

Sitting at the table she always shared with Julian in Quark’s Bar, Ezri shook her head. “I waited for an hour, in case he’d just lost his way. No Lieutenant Tarses.”

Bashir sighed, and leaned back in his seat.

“Julian, he has that right. I’m not his superior officer, and—”

“Well…I am.” Julian leaned forward, a small, reassuring smile on his face. “And for you, Ezri…tomorrow, I’ll order him to attend your session.”

Ezri’s eyes widened. “Absolutely not. Any pressure on him like that will just make things harder for me.”

Bashir hesitated, and finally nodded. “Well…what do you propose we do?”

Ezri glanced down at her mug. “Don’t worry…tomorrow, when I go off duty, I’ll head straight for his quarters…and talk to him.”

“I thought you said that we shouldn’t pressure him.”

“I won’t. I’ll try to approach him as a friend—not just a counselor.”

Bashir gave a little snort. “Good luck.”

Ezri chuckled. “Thanks…I’m probably going to need it.”

"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote