View Single Post
Old September 7 2009, 05:07 AM   #9
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Sigils and Unions: Catacombs of Oralius--The Desolate Vigil

Thank you very much for checking this out.

About the perspective...I think that's just something I've been used to doing for a long time.

Also..going deep into AU Dukat's head was something that I felt was very important. When you're dealing with an alternate of someone who, in canon, was so thoroughly horrible, I felt it was very important to give people a strong sense of who this one is, and what he is not.

I've always felt that canon Dukat had some form of mental illness. I do not see him as excused, by any means--but there were definitely behaviors and incidents that made me think so. So, given that the AU version had the same genetics, that was a challenge I knew he was going to have to face.

BTW, a note about the Oralian Way--you may notice that Dukat practices differently than we've ever seen in any of the relaunch novels. My thought is that we've had 500 years in AU Cardassia's history where instead of being forced underground and kept by only a very few, the Oralian Way has grown and developed out in the open, so I felt like it was reasonable for there to be the kind of variation you see IRL with major religions like Christianity or Buddhism or the like. (Oh...and you'll get to see another sect later in the story, one that is quite different from the ones you've seen so far. But like I've said before, it'll take me a long time to do more writing on this due to The Thirteenth Order!)

And I felt like I was taking a big risk by stating so openly what inspired me, given the reaction you get around here sometimes if you believe--but I'm glad you liked it.