View Single Post
Old September 6 2009, 12:18 AM   #28
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Trek romances - the good, the bad, and the boring?

[QUOTE=Nerys Ghemor;3370247]
PSGarak wrote: View Post

I wish they had let Andrew Robinson have his way about portraying Garak as bisexual. The friendship chemistry he had with Bashir was more interesting than any romantic pairing on that show. I wouldn't have even cared if Bashir didn't feel the same way because he was straight. Just allowing that issue to be aired would've been nice. Most portrayals of bisexuals I've seen in tv and film are either horribly campy and over the top, like the MU characters, or make them come across as manipulative psychopaths like in Basic Instinct. As someone who is bisexual and has known it pretty much all of my life, I find such characterizations insulting. I think Robinson would've handled it in a mature, interesting way, and I would've loved to see it.

EDIT: I think the reason I find the characterizations insulting is because so often film and tv writers use bisexuality as shorthand for "perverted" or "twisted", much like some authors will turn a character into a rapist for no other reason than to show that character is evil. It's lazy, and it's unnecessary. There are other ways to establish that without maligning an entire sexual orientation.
I think that could've been very interesting to see how they'd deal with a friendship, to see how Garak would deal with the realization that Bashir was incapable of returning his romantic feelings. If that could be done in a mature way, that would've been very interesting.
I agree, but that said, you - or a shows writer - can't be afraid to make a villian gay. Because then you're going to far towards political correctness.

One of my favorite sci-fi novel is "Dune," the chief villian, Baron Valdamir Harkonnan, is a homosexual (also a pedophile and a sadist) having him be such in no way harms those of my sexual orientation.

I don't find gay psych or evil charactors insulting in the least. We are the good people and the bad.

So maybe I don't agree