View Single Post
Old September 5 2009, 09:32 AM   #17
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Re: Rob Zombie's Halloween II Discuss/Grade Thread

T'Baio wrote: View Post
What did you think of the first one, just for a frame of reference?
There was a lot wrong with it, right from the premise. I'm not an anti-remake guy by any means, but filling in Michael Myers's backstory was pointless. No matter how effectively it might be done, it still humanizes him, which makes him less of a boogeyman.

That said, for the most part, the first half of the remake was decent. It doesn't work for the Michael Myers/"The Shape" monster, but Zombie almost cobbled together an interesting story of a more lifelike serial killer. I never bought into it as the story of John Carpenter's characters, but aside from a few problems (a random patch of white trash in the middle of Haddonfield?), it was at least interesting enough to watch.

As soon as it gets to grown-up Michael and becomes an abridged version of the original, though, it falls apart. I didn't care about any of the characters--in fact, as soon as Laurie Strode did the finger-in-the-bagel bit, I actually disliked her.

The second half almost felt totally disconnected from the first. Zombie spends all that time developing Michael as a more realistic character, and as soon as he's grown, he's no different from the Michael Myers we've seen in all of the other films. That makes the whole first half seem pointless.

Because the backstory is lumped together with the abridged retelling of the original, the movie's way too long, to boot. So the movie somehow manages to drag on while feeling too rushed at the same time. That's some feat.

Yeah. So that's the first movie, and I liked it much more than this one. How am I doing so far?