View Single Post
Old September 1 2009, 01:23 PM   #2473
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Endgame

I typically make it a point to stick to the episode and my own personal thoughts when it comes to writing a review, ignoring much the chatter that happens apart from that, because why make my review about everyone else's opinion? But over the last 8 years Star Trek forums across the internet have expressed a wide range of opinions about Endgame, from those that absolutely loathed it to those who thought it was okay. There are a lot of great points out there, both against and less against the finale. It proves that Endgame is a controversial ending to the series, to the say the least.

And what I've found, to my dismay, is that I can't form a basis for what the "right" review to Voyager's ending is. This review couldn't possibly satisfy everyone. Half the audience is going to slightly disagree with my take on the episode.

So here's what I'm gonna do. I'm going to offer up a twist bigger than any of Voyager's over its seven seasons. I'm going to go straight out of here by employing the Sopranos route for the finale for TheGodBen's Hater Reviews™. I'm going to do what Samantha Wildman did. I'm going to wink out of existence -- cut to black -- and let all of you make up your own damned minds.

Because that's ultimately what this finale is about. Making up your own mind. No amount of my synopsis or opinion or recapping or criticising/criticising slightly less makes a difference. It's a work of fictional art, and it's up to you, the viewer, to render your verdict in the court of public opinion.

Which you've already done via the comments on this forum. I'd like to thank you for writing the review for me, and I mean that sincerely. The quality of comments in here is adequate. It's been a hell of a ride. My only regret is that I didn't let you guys write all these reviews sooner, it could have saved me a lot of time.

If you had told me before Endgame that my review would have no star rating, I'd have called you crazy. But there it is. Voyager's finale is about everyone's ability to forgive what the episode did (or didn't do). It's not about what I can tell you about it. So my review for Endgame is also going to be about you, and not me. I think that's the most fitting way that I can end TheGodBen's Hater Reviews™: By turning it over to all of you.

I'll just leave you with some final words as I close the book on Voyager, which you must read aloud in the voice of Tim Russ' Commander Tuvok:

Damn dawg, you've been played!

Hang on, this is September 1st? Aww bugger, I thought it was April.

Akiraprise wrote: View Post
GodBen asked me to post his review for him.

EndGame (*)

Thank you for reading my reviews!

I'd never say "thank you".