View Single Post
Old August 31 2009, 05:33 PM   #26
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Improving your Sci-Tech Forum

Tachyon Shield wrote: View Post
It's this type of bigotry which is the reason I refuse to post any more threads in this forum.

Jadzia wrote: View Post

I'm tempted to say that opinions are alright as long as they are clearly presented as opinions. People with opinions should make an effort to not derail discussions, and in return, they shouldn't be hounded for proof. Assertions on the other hand should only be made if you can provide evidence for them.
What's the real difference between an opinion and an assertion?? if a person believes something to be true then clearly it's also an assertion otherwise they would not believe it to be the case and would not believe it in the first place.

What you are saying is that everyone needs to write the words 'In my opinion' in front of every single post they make.
No, just the opposite. If someone posts something and claims it as fact, the op should be ready to cite sources. On the other hand, if you claim something as an opinion, you are stating something you believe in but have no sources to back it up.

In the case of an opinion, if you want to sway others to your point of view, be prepared to explain how you came to this point of view.

Stubbornly claiming "this is right! I am right" while refusing to cite resources or explain your thought process is no way to hold a conversation.

In the case of your recent threads such as the "pyramid to space", I thought they were interesting thought exercises and had no problem with them. I did have a problem with some of the overly obvious trolls that entered the thread just to harass you.

p.s. just read through the "Big Bang" thread. yea, Tachy, you need to just ignore the people that aren't contributing to the conversation or get tied down arguing about how certain questions were asked. Just write off some questions as unanswerable and move on. There was alot of interesting information given in the thread.

Last edited by sojourner; August 31 2009 at 06:03 PM.
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote