View Single Post
Old August 31 2009, 07:26 AM   #8
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

Re: Improving your Sci-Tech Forum

sojourner wrote: View Post
Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
I also resent posts that are more metaphysical in content be used for more scientific conversations.
The current regime has stated (for the record) that debate about the philosophy of some scientific theory is allowed. For example, take the "Do You Want To Live Forever?" thread. It initially disappointed me as most of us just wanted to talk about the philosophy and ramifications of life prolongation and infinite existence, and less of the science behind it, although I understand this changed later. Besides, this also brings us back to those Arthur C. Clarke quotations I posted above about thinking about the impossible.
To clarify, I have no problem with that. I am more referring to things like "God created it" type posts. A metaphysical thread is different from a metaphysical rebuttal in a non-metaphysical conversation. Especially if it progresses to the point of ruining the original conversation.
I see. The example I described seemed to be the opposite problem: answering a seemingly philosophical OP with science.
-- Victoria Coren Mitchell
Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote