View Single Post
Old August 27 2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

Re: Improving your Sci-Tech Forum

I have something I want to say.

One of the problems as I see it here, which seems to annoy a lot of people here, are people who post opinions or conjecture while seemingly passing them off, or having them misinterpreted, as fact, and making no distinction between the two. Such claims inevitably lead to people demanding links to reputable sources that can confirm the background to their theory, especially when the OP doesn't provide such evidence (and sometimes insists on not doing so, much to the others' further annoyance).

Seeing as we're also talking philosophy of sorts here, today I was reminded of these quotations from Arthur C Clarke:

Clarke's Laws:
  1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
  2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
  3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Clarke's Law of Revolutionary Ideas: Every revolutionary idea — in science, politics, art, or whatever — seems to evoke three stages of reaction. They may be summed up by the phrases:

1 - "It's completely impossible — don't waste my time";
2 - "It's possible, but it's not worth doing";
3 - "I said it was a good idea all along."

which in itself is a paraphrasing of this famous quote popularly attributed to Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi:

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win."

"In Germany, fear comes before sex... and if you're lucky, then a little bit later, an elf." -- Victoria Coren Mitchell
People call me Zion Ravescene...
Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote