View Single Post
Old August 26 2009, 07:04 PM   #2212
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile
Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Jax wrote: View Post
I cudn't believe how many pundits said Liverpool were going to win the title or get really close again. Looking at the players you lost and what you brought in, the squad size or should I say overall quality is quite shocking compared to what you've had in recent years. Your first 11 is a solid one but everyone gets injuries and I just don't buy the likes of Insua, Lucas, Babel, N'Gog etc can help you win anything...
"In recent years"? You mean when Traore, Biscan, Baros, Cisse, Zenden, Pennant, Bellamy, and Kewell were key players? We may have had more established players, but they weren't good enough to win the league by any means. Our squad is as good as it's been under Rafa, but he's had the rug pulled out from under him this season. We've not significantly strengthened the squad because we're had to sell to buy. That's no way to win the league.

What's wrong with Insua? He's a class player, offering us genuine width and forward momentum. He's a far better player than Rafael, who won plaudits last year.

Glen Johnson price tag is a joke only beaten by Lescott's tag, the boy is good going forward but is far too easy to get pass when it comes to defending. Alonso leaving was the last nail in the coffin to any PL bid and now I think your the team that are suspectable to losing your top 4 place like in 2005 though I still expect you to finish 4th.
Glen Johnson has been our best player so far. I, and most other reds, can't fault his signing. He cost a lot, but that's what you have to pay for quality players in the Man City inflated market.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote