View Single Post
Old August 20 2009, 08:08 AM   #12
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Why do we eat what we eat?

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Drone36929 wrote: View Post
Because we derive most of the necessary nutrients from plant and animal life (e.g., protein, fats, vitamins, etc.).
That makes sense, but why do we do it? Is there any idea as to what caused organisms to start eating other organisms?
Organisms required ________ to survive. They had to develop a method of ingesting ________ so they could use it. Likely, back in the day, these organisms were probably absorbing things through osmosis or photosynthesis or whatever. Probably by some random mutation, a creature developed the means to consume/absorb another organism. Evolution took its course, and these creatures began to rely on other organisms for sustenance. Some of these creatures evolved to require nutrients from plants (herbivores). Others require nutrients found in other animals (carnivores). And some of us require nutrients found in both.
Ah ha, I see. Now we're getting somewhere (or about to go around in circles, I'm not sure yet). So it could just be a random mutation that became the next step in our evolutionary phase. I just wonder because most living organisms have defenses so that they don't become food. Why would evolution work against itself?

J.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote